Eggdrop is the oldest Internet Relay Chat (IRC) bot still in active development.
Originally created by Robey Pointer in December 1993 for use on a channel called #gayteen, it has spawned an almost cult like following of users.
It is a feature rich program designed to be easily used and expanded upon (using Tcl scripting) by both novice and advanced IRC users on a variety of hardware and software platforms.
Eggdrop is freely available for anyone to copy, distribute and/or modify under the terms of the GNU General Public License (GPL).
Some features of Eggdrop:
- Basic IRC channel administrative functions (authorized operators, ban lists, flood control
- Runs on Linux, *BSD, SunOs, Mac OS X, etc…
- IPv6 support
- SSL protection of IRC and botnet traffic
- An official Docker Eggdrop image
- Base funtionality can be extended with customized Tcl scripts and/or C modules
- The ability to form botnets and share partylines and userfiles between bots
- A robust documentation, forum, and online support community
- Support for all major IRCDs, and pre-configured settings for major networks (Libera, Undernet, Efnet, Dalnet, Quakenet)